Attendance at Danville Christian Academy is a privilege. In order to receive maximum benefit from his or her education, a student must be in regular attendance throughout the school year. Any pattern of absences which totals more than 8 days of instructional time in a semester is cause for serious concern and may lead to a repeating of the grade.
In order to assist school personnel in discrimination between truancy and absence, we request that parents call the school office prior to 10:00 a.m. if the student will be absent. If phone contact is not made, parents need to submit to the teacher a note signed by the parent which states the reason for the student’s absence. The teacher will provide the student an opportunity to make up work that was missed during an absence.
- Parents must call the office prior to 10:00 a.m. the day of the absence or should submit a written note on the day the student returns which states the reason for the absence.
- When a student has accumulated 5 absences in a school semester, the parents will be notified in writing of their child’s absences.
- When a student has accumulated more than 8 absences within a school semester, the parents will meet with the headmaster.
- When a student has accumulated a total of 16 absences in an academic year, the parents will write a letter of explanation to the board of directors.
- Any absence, for whatever reason, shall be charged against the student’s record, except when a student participates in an approved school activity. Such absence is not counted against the student’s record.
- In order to assist school personnel in discriminating between truancy and absence for good and sufficient reasons, it is requested that parents submit to their child’s teacher a written note that states the reason for the child’s absence. The parent must sign this note.
- Teachers will provide students with the opportunity to make up work that was missed during an absence, a day for each day absent. It is the responsibility of the student/parent to contact the teacher regarding make-up work.
- School work due to an absence will be available at the end of the school day if requested by 10:00. If work is requested, please be diligent in picking up the work.
- Requests for extended absences need to be submitted in writing to the headmaster for approval. The advanced absence notification form must be submitted to the office personnel a minimum of 2 weeks before the absence. Work missed by the student will be completed upon return.
- A student who misses up to 3 ½ hours of the school day will be counted ½ day absent.
Being late to class is very disruptive. A tardy shall be recorded for any student not in their assigned room by 8:20 a.m. A student will receive a tardy when missing up to 45 minutes of the academic day either at the beginning or ending of the day.
- When a student has accumulated 5 tardy marks in a semester, the parents will be notified in writing of their child’s tardiness and the child will no longer be eligible for perfect attendance. A student will receive an absence after 5 tardy incidents.
- When a student has accumulated 10 tardy marks, the parents will be notified in writing of their child’s tardiness.
- When a student has accumulated 11 tardy incidents in a school year, the parent will meet with the headmaster. Following this meeting, any further tardy issues may be referred to the school board.