In 1994, a committee was formed by Calvary Baptist Church members to study the idea of starting a Christian school in Danville, KY. After two years of prayer and preparation, DCA opened for operation on August 15, 1996, at Calvary Baptist Church. Danville Christian Academy began with one full time teacher and twelve students, with Mr. Mike Hudson as headmaster. DCA had 5 kindergarten students, 2 second graders, 3 third graders, 1 fifth grader, and 1 sixth grade student. The faithfulness of the first year parents, who were committed to getting this school off the ground, made it possible for our children today to have much more. The early years were a time of growth and struggle, but the initial DCA supporters were faithful and believed God would provide.
By the fifth year of operation, 2000-2001, enrollment reached 100 and a second campus was needed. Gethsemane Baptist Church graciously opened their campus for the school to have two sites. After six years of service to DCA, Mr. Mike Hudson resigned and Mr. Delmer Warren became the headmaster in the fall of 2002. After Mr. Warren’s retirement, Mr. Tim Godbey became the headmaster in June 2005. Enrollment continued to increase yearly, and at the start of school in August 2006, school started with just over 200 students! As enrollment climbed, the decision was made to expand DCA to include a high school, which was first housed at Lexington Avenue Baptist Church, giving DCA 3 campuses.
Because of the foresight and generosity of some faithful DCA supporters, the property on Shakertown Road was purchased for a future campus. In January of 2008, ground was broken for DCA’s first facility of its own. In February 2009, the new building was ready, and the upper grades were moved from Lexington Avenue Baptist Church to Shakertown Road. Grades 4 – 12 were located at the Shakertown Road campus for the 2009-2010 school year. Mrs. Amy Byrd was headmaster during the opening of the new building and first year.
In May 2010, interim headmaster, Bettie Milby, and the Board of Directors decided to move all the classes to the Shakertown campus, closing the Calvary Baptist and Gethsemane Baptist Church locations that had been so vital to the early years of DCA. In November 2010, Mrs. Debbie Lucas was hired as headmaster to begin in June 2011. Mrs. Lucas remained with us until her retirement in the summer of 2017.
In August 2017, Mr. Jim Ward joined the DCA staff as headmaster after his retirement from Lincoln County Schools.
God continues to bless Danville Christian Academy with wonderful leadership, staff, families, and experiences as we strive to mold Christ-like scholars, leaders, and servants who will advance the Kingdom of God.
Accreditation: Accredited by AdvancED
Memberships: Member of The Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI)
Grades Offered: Three-year-old preschool through 12th grade
Average Student to Teacher Ratio: 14 to 1
Chapel: All students attend one chapel service per school week.
Fall Retreat: High school students have a spiritually enriching time away doing team building activities with teachers and peers.
Mission Opportunities: Every year high school students have local, regional, and foreign mission opportunities.
Statement of Faith
1. We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative, inerrant Word of God (II Timothy 3:15, II Peter 1:21).
2. We believe there is one God eternally existent in three persons – (Genesis 1:1, Matthew 28:19, John 10:30).
3. We believe in the deity of Christ (John 10:33), His virgin birth (Isaiah 7:14, Matthew 1:23, Luke 1:35), His sinless life (Hebrews 4:15, Hebrews 7:26), His miracles ( John 2:11), His vicarious and atoning death (I Corinthians 15:3, Ephesians 1:7, Hebrews 2:9), His resurrection (John 11:25, I Corinthians 15:4), His ascension to the right hand of the Father (Mark 16:19), and His personal return in power and glory (Acts 1:11, Revelation 19:11).
4. We believe in the absolute necessity of regeneration by the Holy Spirit for salvation because of the exceeding sinfulness of human nature, and that men are justified on the single ground of faith in the shed blood of Christ and that only by God’s grace and through faith alone are we saved (John 3:16-19, John 5:24, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8-9, Ephesians 2:8-10, Titus 3:5).
5. We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost: they that are saved unto the resurrection of life, and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation (John 5:28-29).
6.We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ (Romans 8:9, I Corinthians 12:12-13, Galatians 3:26-28).
7.We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life (Romans 8:13-14, I Corinthians 3:16, I Corinthians 6: 19-20, Ephesians 4:30, 5:18)